Laser Hair Removal at Kaya Skin Clinic (Session 1) – Review
Few days back, I got an opportunity to try the Laser Hair Removal at the Kaya Skin Clinic. I will be undergoing 3 sessions in total and my first session took place 5 days back. This was my first time with laser and like everyone else; I too had heaps of questions & fears. Now that I am done with the first session, it is time to share my experience with you girls.
In case you are wondering, I underwent laser treatment for my underarms at the Kaya Skin Clinic in Mumbai. I was informed over the phone to not wax or use razor on my underarms for at least 2 weeks before the treatment. The reason is that they would determine the frequency of the beam passed by the laser machine after examining my hair thickness and growth.
I reached the clinic in the evening as per my appointment. I was greeted by the receptionist who took down my name to verify the appointment. I previously had been to their clinic in Pune and this one was rather smaller as compared to the same. After confirming my appointment, I was served with Kaya’s signature welcome drink. I absolutely love it and couldn’t resist on inquiring about it. It is basically a cold tea made with apple and cinnamon. If you go to Kaya next time, you MUST try it.
Upon finishing my drink, I was escorted to the room where the treatment would take place. I was actually expecting a session with the doctor before my treatment but was disappointed that the same was skipped in my case. Anyways, I was then greeted by Varsha, the laser specialist, who probed me about my medical history and filled the same in a form. After giving out the details, I was asked to sign on a form which I didn’t even bother reading. I was then asked to change in a gown and keep my belongings safe in a locker.
To start to with the treatment, Varsha examined the growth of my hair and asked me few question about the same. She then sanitized my underarms, applied a sensitive lotion and shaved off the area to be treated. After shaving, she drew a white line on the area to be treated and gave me a pair of tinted glasses to wear. She then applied a thick layer to cool gel on my underarms area to minimize the effect of heat on my skin. After wearing the tinted glasses herself, she started with the procedure.
There are two types of laser treatments at Kaya named as Nd:YAG Laser Technology and Pain Free Hair Free, both of them are approved by US FDA, safe on Indian Skin and suitable for all skin types. While the later one is pain free, it wasn’t available at the clinic and I had to undergo the Nd:YAG Laser Technology. I was VERY scared about the laser being used on the skin for the first time. I actually started to imagine different kind of pain I would feel during the treatment. Varsha very patiently answered my doubts and told me that there would be a prick sensation during the treatment and I can let her know if I am not comfortable during any stage.
When the beam of the laser kills the hair follicles, it feels like someone has passed current through my body. The first few beams were difficult but later I could bear the pain. Varsha was trying her best to keep me occupied by explaining every single step. After killing the hair follicles on my underarms, Varsha cleaned that area and applied ice to soothe it down followed by a Post laser cream. I was done with the entire laser process in 20 mins flat!
It has been five days today and I haven’t had any side effects or irritation. I was told to not use warm water, deodorants, perfume or soap directly on my underarms for 2 days. I wasn’t even given any Post laser cream and was asked to use any regular moisturizer for few days. I got a tiny bump on the underarms the second day which made me worried but it went by itself. I was also told that I might see some hair growth after 3 days which is due to the razor and would fall off by itself. So far, I haven’t seen any hair growing there. My next appointment is after 9th of next month and I would update you then.
Some FAQ’s by Kaya:
- You might see hair growth after initial sessions. These will fall off eventually. Rest will be targeted in the next sitting
- There might be slight redness or swelling immediately after the service. This is completely normal and will subside in a few hours
- Apply post laser cream to the serviced area for 5 days after each session. Apply sun screen regularly thereafter
- Continue your regular outdoor activities, but avoid excessive direct sunlight exposure for 2-3 days post the session. Apply sun screen, with SPF 15, at least 20 minutes before you go out in the sun, especially on the serviced area
- Use normal tap water on the service area for 12 hours post the session. Warm water or soap can be used after 12 hours
- Swimming can be resumed after 2-3 days post service since chlorine can irritate the serviced area
- Between the sessions, hair can be removed using shaving or hair removal creams only. Avoid removing hair for a week before your next appointment
- Do not bleach, wax, pluck, thread hair in between the sessions from the serviced area. Do not out dye or put mehendi on the area to be serviced
- If you are taking KAYA HairFree on face, then avoid facial for 7 days prior and 7 days post your session
- Do not use Acne drugs like Retin A and cosmetic products like chemical peels/products containing AHA for 7 days prior and 7 days post your session
- Is laser hair removal really permanent? Most KAYA customers achieve 80-90% permanent hair reduction. This service reduces the quantity and thickness of hair. However, it does not target very fine, bleached or grey hair. Since hormonal changes in the body might trigger some hair growth, it is recommended that after a course of 6 sessions, you undergo a few maintenance sessions.
- Is the Nd:YAG laser technology safe? Absolutely! We use a US FDA approved Nd:YAG laser, safe on Indian skin and suitable for all skin types. The service is performed by our trained and certified skin practitioner, under supervision of the dermatologist. Our Skin Practitioners go through a stringent 45 day program at the KAYA Training Center in Mumbai, a state-of-the-art facility that imparts the latest expert training. On-going quality control and re-training ensures consistency in the delivery of the service. Side effects from laser hair removal are uncommon. Sometimes clients experience hyper-pigmentation (darkening of skin) or a slight redness of skin (allergic reaction to the heat). Both conditions are temporary and can easily be treated with topical creams